Claiming Self Education Expenses as a Tax Deduction

Did you know if you work and study at the same time and incur self-education expenses, you may be able to claim those expenses as a tax deduction?

To be eligible to claim your current employment and the course you undertake must have a "sufficient connection" and you must satisfy at least one of these conditions:Top of Form

  • you are upgrading your qualifications for your current employment – for example, upgrading from a Bachelor qualification to a Masters qualification
  • you are improving specific skills or knowledge used in your current employment – for example, a course that will allow you to operate more machinery at work
  • you are employed as a trainee and you are undertaking a course that forms part of that traineeship – for example, an overseas trained person employed as an intern while doing a bridging course
  • you can show that at the time you were working and studying, your course led, or was likely to lead, to an increase in employment income – for example, a teacher who will automatically get a pay increase as a result of completing the course.

If you meet the eligibility requirements; the following self-education expenses are allowable tax deductions:

  • tuition fees, including fees payable under FEE-HELP (this does not include expenses paid under HECS-HELP)
  • tuition fees, including fees payable under VET FEE-HELP
  • self-education expenses paid with your OS-HELP loan
  • textbooks, professional and trade journals
  • stationery
  • photocopying
  • computer expenses
  • student union fees
  • student services and amenities fees
  • accommodation and meals, where the course requirements require you to be away from home for one or more nights
  • running expenses if you have a room set aside for self-education purposes – such as the cost of heating, cooling and lighting that room while you are studying in it
  • allowable travel expenses.

Some of these expenses may need to be apportioned and/or depreciated.

To ensure that you maximise your tax refund and correctly claim for Self –Education expenses, please contact us to have one of our tax agents prepare your return.

Comments are closed.

Call Now Button